Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My dream

Did I really call this thing "undistracted"? Eric laughed when I told him! You probably all did. Confessions first. I feel very vulnerable. Like you are reading my journal or something...

I want to start with something the Lord gave me the other that has totally shifted the paradigm of my expectations and my mentality. I had a dream the other night that was so profound, I find myself telling everyone that will listen. So of course, I'll tell you.

Josiah and I were in a life raft in the middle of the ocean. The situation was dire, and I knew we had to figure out how to eat. Somehow. The best plan I could come up with was to reach in the water and grab a fish that was swimming by with my bare hands. Of course it would be a miracle for a fish to swim that close, but I do believe in miracles. As I was looking into the depths of the sea waiting for a fish to swim by, a fish jumped out of the water and right into our boat...

My idea of a miracle was for me to still do the work. I would have to reach in and grab the fish. As much as I was praying for a miracle, it never occurred to me to pray for a fish to jump into the boat. It never even occurred to me to THINK about that.

Thus my paradigm shift.

My idea of Jesus (before this dream) was so small. I know He wants to prosper us (but we struggle to make ends meet). I know He wants to heal us (but Josiah still manifests symptoms of a disease). I feel like the things I can see in our lives right now are so often floating in a life boat in the middle of the ocean. I used to wonder if He even noticed... I have moved past that to actually believing that not only does He notice, but that He will perform a miracle on my behalf. But after that dream, my prayers have changed to "teach me how to think like You". In the few days since my dream, I don't think He wants me to go fishing for a miracle (provision, healing, peace!). I kind of think He wants to just give it to me.

What would our lives be like if the next time we are stranded in the middle of nowhere with no help in sight instead of lamenting or complaining or even believing for the impossible, we actually EXPECTED it. Not a selfish expectation, but an expectation that my children have that I will provide them with everything they need and more! It never occurs to them that I would do it any other way. Why do we think God would?

My challenge to you is this: what situation do you need a fish to jump into? Try asking God for His logic. What is His idea of a miracle? ... and then let me know what happens.




6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog world!! So glad I can "get in touch" with you here! Sorry we missed you on Tues. we were in town, but had to take my car to the shop so I was stranded! I have to come back and get more work done next week though - will you be around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - and Hannah is precious! I can't believe I haven't seen her since May!! What a good looking quiver of arrows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Thanks so much for sharing this with me! You are an amazing writer, as well. I really like the way that you got your point across, but still made sure that your readers were thinking of ways to apply this in their own life. I feel like I just read an entry in Our Daily Bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thank you so much for your encouraging words, Ashley. Yes, God has already given us this fish(es) and we will continue to believe that His fish are even more plentiful than we imagine. Thank you for your vulnerableness and beautiful words of wisdom. May you be blessed in His prescence today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is great! The pictures of your family are BEAUTIFUL -- I love them! I loved hearing about your dream the other day (it encouraged me too!), and I love that you put it on your blog. thanks for sharing it and for letting God use you. Can't wait to see what you blog about next -- no pressure - ha! :)
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Lord for exposing the talents that I know you gave Ashley when she was very young. I thank you each day for such a wonderful daughter and such a wonderful Christian Mother to her children. What a joy I find her to be and how blessed I have been to share the same time and space as she does. God you did soooo good. Thank you

    ReplyDelete