Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Speaking in Flowers

A long time ago, Eric and I came up with this idea. What if our words turned into flowers as they were spoken? What kind of garden would we grow? I hate to admit it, but a lot of days, my words plant this kind of garden:

These are the days when everything that comes out of my mouth is complaining, bitterness, grumbling, frustration.... Then in the middle of all that, I get a moment of relief from all the dryness in my heart, and, like a shower in the desert, out comes a compliment. An encouraging word. A praise. An I love you. A sunflower in the middle of the dry, dusty, dead ground.

We all know that "life and death are in the power of the tongue". How much do we actually pay attention to that? Are we those people who just say what is on our mind? Do we stop to think about how what we are saying might make someone else feel? "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Whoever said that had obviously never been condemned with harsh words from his father. He must have been quite content in his marriage with a wonderfully mute wife. His friends never made the mistake to share with him their point of view, because it was, of course, "for his best".

And this doesn't even take into consideration the actual realization of curses we speak over ourselves and the people we love most! We wonder why we can't ever get ahead when all we can proclaim is "I never have enough money!" Or why we feel ill after we just said to our child, "You make me sick." This is not some hokey pokey notion, but real truth. Just because we don't believe it, doesn't mean it doesn't operate in our lives. We can refuse the Law of Gravity all day long, but I'll bet every single person takes a parachute with them to skydive.

But what about the things we don't say? What if we are careful not to speak curses, but not intentional to speak blessings? Eric and I have become very intentional to speak blessings over our children. This is sometimes harder! To speak out loud that "I am patient. I am a patient, loving mother with a gentle spirit" when all I really want to do is kick everybody out the door while I scream "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??!!!", is an act of my will to speak a blessing over myself. In my busyness, I have to slow myself down often to speak loving words to my family. I want to get this done first, then I will stop to tell Josiah I am so proud of him... Why not tell him first?! It was hard at first. Growing up, my family wasn't really one that was super affectionate and affirming. I had to give myself permission to pour out what I didn't necessarily have poured in...

For those of you who are not around children very often, do not be fooled by the masks that people wear. As we age, we become masters of facade... When death is spoken in place of life, it is not nearly as visible as with a child. I am reminded every time I speak to my children that I am a gardener. I have seen them literally wilt right before my eyes because of a harsh word spoken over them. What kind of garden they become is very much because of what I plant. To my great shame, I confess that sometimes in my inpatience I throw thorns and thistles instead of tenderly, carefully transplanting young sprouts.

Oh, God! Please help me use my words to plant this instead:




P.S. I guess I better get used to being real with every thing I write on here... here is today's confession: Yes, we do live by this. To the point you will never hear us say that Josiah "has" any disease. He was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis when he was a baby (he will be three October 25). He manifests the symptoms of a disease. Those things both did and do happen. But we will not speak over him a diagnosis of death. At the point all we can hope for is what we see, all hope is lost. We believe for Josiah (and any other child God blesses us with!) what we cannot see. What we cannot understand, but dare to hope in. His name means "Healed by God". We didn't know that when he was born, nor did we know he would need that promise so tangibly in his life. We believe God still heals. We believe words have power. And I don't know too many little boys that are as healthy as he has been for the past three years! You might think we are crazy, or maybe "that we are not facing the facts", I can't blame you. A few years ago, before I got to walk all this out, I might have thought I was crazy for believing in this, too. It is funny how a little life and death situation will spin you all around and make you question everything you have ever thought you have known... and rebuild your faith in a whole other paradigm.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the exortation! Love the flower/garden analogy! We like to say that our words should be "honey" words and not "sword" words taken from the verses below.

    “There is one who speaks like the piercings of a sword, But the tongue of the wise promotes health” Prov. 12:18
    “Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones” Prov. 16:24

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! You are such an amazing wife, mother, and friend!!! I am so glad you are blogging so that I can get some 'Ashley' time without having to wait for skyping!! Whoot, whoot!!

    This was some of Lake's copywork this week, from our 'journal of sinful speech' , I thought it fit well and such a great verse

    Proverbs 29:11 A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.

    I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete